Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Chicken Taco Soup


Okay, here is my recipe for my friend Jill's challenge. The challenge was to make a colorful dinner. I realize I am not a good food photographer, and I actually don't have a real recipe. I kind of just threw it together, but it is really easy and good. I saute a small chopped onion and 1 minced garlic clove in 1 TBSP of oil, and then add a little chopped red or green pepper. Then I add a large can of crushed or pureed tomatoes and 2-3 cups of chicken broth, about 1 TBSP chili powder and a pinch or two of cumin. Add two chicken breasts and simmer on med heat until the chicken is cooked, you can even add the chicken still frozen. When the chicken is cooked I take it out and let it cool a bit and then shred it and put it back in the pot. I add a can of rinsed black beans and about a cup of corn and 1/4 cup chopped cilantro and simmer a little longer. It is also good to add one chipotle pepper, the kind that is in the can with the adobo sauce, if you like it spicier. I garnish it with cheese, crushed tortillas, and avocado. My kids like the mild version, and anyone who doesn't want it gets a quesadilla.

2 comments:

Jill said...

Oh, I'm totally impressed.

Now I've got to post something tonight and nothing I've made is that exciting!

Thanks for participating!

Kourtney and Kris said...

Kecia the picture looks great. I can't wait until you make it for us in December.